Most sites that need volunteers cannot afford to provide them with room and board at no cost. Even professional volunteers will often be responsible for their own lodging and meals while providing services to a community or organization. Volunteering can be a less expensive way to travel, but it is not usually free. If you want to volunteer and not spend any money, look closer to home, there are likely many organizations in need of help.
Ideas For Fundraising
- Write a press release about your upcoming volunteer experience and send it to the local newspaper. Mention that you are looking for donations to help fund your trip.
- Rotary Clubs and other groups often offer scholarships. Offer to make a presentation about your travels when you return.
- Submit a request for a donation to local businesses. Offer to send out a press release mentioning the businesses that made donations to you.
- 'Sell' postcards to family and friends. Offer to send a postcard for every $25 (pick your amount) donated.
- Organize a recycling pick-up day for returnable bottles. Lots of folks would be happy just to have them gone from the bags and bins at their house.
Fundraising-Fundable lets groups of people raise funds or pool money for group purchases.